Sunday, September 16, 2007

Living "La dolce vita"

WE HAVE INTERNET AT HOME!!!!!! AND IT WORKS!!!!!

I was waiting for the Telecom worker to show up on Wednesday morning, and he didn't. I was frustrated, but I could do nothing about it, so I just continued with my day (which included going to the "Benvenuto Varese" meeting, going to the library to get on line, picking up a package at the post office -origin unknown- and then pick up Nicolas at the bus stop at 1:30 p.m.)
The "Benvenuto Varese" is an organization of women who welcome other English speaking women to the area. They meet once a month for a morning coffee -this is their regular meeting- but they have different groups with different activities, so you can walk in the mountains or play "bridge" if that is your preference. This group is key to us newcomers, since it will connect us with lots of different people, and it will give us the opportunity to get advice about the joys of living in Italy.
The September meeting is the first meeting of the year (school year) and it is CROWDED AND LOUD. I went to the meeting with my friend Mannie, who has just arrived from Canada with her husband (who also works for Wonderware -where Fernando works at). We tried to mingle and we were sometimes successful and others not so much... I had the intention of creating a running club, so I have brought a sign up sheet, and I waited unsuccessfully for someone to feel like they just HAD TO JOIN a RUNNING group!!!! I guess I will have better luck next time, when people have calmed down from all the excitement of summer vacation.
After the meeting Mannie droped me off at the library, where the librarian treats me like family now, for my daily dose of WEB. The library closes at 1:00 p.m. on Wednesdays, but it is open from 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Saturday on the other hand it opens from 9:00 to 2:00. (Got that?). At one o'clock sharp I walked to the post office, which I knew would be open, because I had tried to pick up the package the previous afternoon and found it closed. Post office schedule: Mon-Fr from 8:30 to 2:00, and Sat from 9:00 to 12:00. I should point out that almost everything else closes at 12:30 and opens again at 3:00 or 3:30. Confused? Just wait. Nicolas' days at school change too. Mon, Tue, and Th. are long days (he comes back at 4:45 on the bus) but Wed. and Fr. are short days (he arrives at 1:30). Mondays in Azzate, you will find that all commercial business are closed in the morning. If you go further south, they might choose Tuesday mornings as their mornings off.
I have been to too many places at the wrong time, but I am learning... or at least, I hope so.
Well, I arrived at the post office to pick up my mystery package and I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was from Telecom! My modem had arrived! Happiness in a box.
It was a good day after all!

Warning: You may need to re-register with JS-kit(Echo) to leave CommentLuv link: uncheck the CommentLuv box, click 'add another site", type your blog url in "my site", re-check CommentLuv box. Also type over the name Guest!