Wednesday, February 20, 2008

What I love about Italy.

Remember my 10 things post about my husband? I think I am due for another 10 things list, and what better subject than my host country: Italy. Here are 10 random reasons why I love it so:
1)The land, not just the mountains and the beaches, but the old towns, the churches everywhere, the little roads, the yellow on the walls made of 10 layers of color and history, the chickens in my neighbor's yard, the pigs in the farm bellow, the bicycles everywhere, the beautiful people... I could go on and on...
2) The coffee, no need to explain this one.
3) The bar where I get my coffee, which is the social heart of our little town. We walk in, they know what we want, they just ask you: "cappuccino?" as to give you the opportunity to try something new. You drink your coffee, you eat your "brioce" from the open display at the bar, and you walk up to the register and pay what you consumed. The honor system in all its glory, no one questions what you say you ate, and no one lies about it.
4) The food. Simple, seasonal, colorful, beautiful food.
5) The language. Italian is like a song with many rhythms and a definite cadence. I just happen to be the girl that never made it to music class.
6) From sweet to bitter... I am talking about liqueur: Frangelico, Amaretto di Saronno, Sambuca, Limoncello, Campari, Amaro, Grappa.
7) Art everywhere.
8) Gelato!
9) Italians love children. They go out of their way to make children feel loved, welcome, cared for. My Nicolas sure likes this too.
10) Soccer players... really!

Warning: You may need to re-register with JS-kit(Echo) to leave CommentLuv link: uncheck the CommentLuv box, click 'add another site", type your blog url in "my site", re-check CommentLuv box. Also type over the name Guest!