Wednesday, January 21, 2009

American


I am so proud. I am an American now, just in time to witness history in the making.

We had an impromptu celebration / inauguration viewing party last night. My good friend Debbie (a born American living in Italy), her children, my husband Fernando, Nicolas and I (the one with the brand new passport, and the one that did not get to vote) got together to cheer and celebrate. I cooked a great Chili con Carne recipe, baked some cornbread, had some guacamole, and sourcream on the side, and a good bottle of espumante to celebrate American-Italian style!

We watched every detail of the inauguration thanks to CNN international, it was a memorable experience. I am glad Nicolas is old enough to participate and to rejoice with us. He is so proud of his country, and this was an emotional moment for him too.

I became an American on December 19th, 2008, at the Los Angeles Convention Center, along with some other 5999 residents scheduled for that day. I traveled by myself back to California for the ceremony, and was surprised to find out that one of my best friends was also scheduled for the same day and time.


I was moved by the ceremony, and by the judge's words. She said that even though we were Americans now, we did not have to renounce to our culture, our traditions, or our beliefs. What a great country America is, that will take us all, different as we are, and will empower us to unite in our diversity.

Warning: You may need to re-register with JS-kit(Echo) to leave CommentLuv link: uncheck the CommentLuv box, click 'add another site", type your blog url in "my site", re-check CommentLuv box. Also type over the name Guest!