Wednesday, July 25, 2007

España!

We are back from Spain and we had a great time. I am now a firm believer in the "law of equilibrium" (I have to call it something and equilibrium seems appropriate). The law goes something like this: "In order to have a great trip, one has to go through some kind of trouble before hand, nothing major, just some kind of inconvenience. Once one pays his/her dues then everything else will be great".

I left as scheduled, there were no delays, and I arrived to Madrid on time, then... my bag did not show up!!! I waited, and waited, and my little red suitcase was nowhere to be seen. (see picture of carousel with no red bags whatsoever). I had three hours between my arrival at Barajas and the bus departure for Santander-Cantabria. I went to the lost luggage window (there is someone there 24/7, I wonder why!) and made my claim. When the attendant asked for the place where I would be staying so that they could send my suitcase over, I had to laugh! I was heading first to Santander, and then to a little town called Arenas de Iguña, population 1,927. Well, he wrote down all my information and sent me on my way with his assurance that I would get my bag "soon".
By the way the amazingly beautiful terminal 4 at Barajas airport was designed by Antonio Lamela and Richard Rogers (winning them the 2006 Stirling Prize).

I took the city bus to the bus terminal and made it there with 5 minutes to spare. When I got to the window all the tickets for the 7:00 pm bus were sold out. Next bus: midnight! I bought my ticket and called my friends to let them know of all my misadventures. I took the metro and went to Nuevos Ministerios, where there is a Corte Ingles (a large department store found all over Spain). I sat down at a cafe and ordered a beer and a pincho de tortilla (a slice of Spanish tortilla-see recipe on link list), and people watched for most of the evening. I went window shopping and then I took the metro back to the station.

I took the midnight luxury bus to Santander and arrived at 6:00 am. My friends picked me up at the station, we went to their apartment and we slept for about three hours. Then we headed out to the country house. To be continued...

Warning: You may need to re-register with JS-kit(Echo) to leave CommentLuv link: uncheck the CommentLuv box, click 'add another site", type your blog url in "my site", re-check CommentLuv box. Also type over the name Guest!