Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A great book meme.

Since I started this blog of mine, many things have happened.

I have made incredible friends that I have never met face to face. Everyday we visit each other through our blogs, and everyday I have the pleasure of their company. I have been inspired, moved, surprised, and enlightened by their words and comments. I look forward to their posts, and I am delighted when they come and visit me. One of my favorite places in the blogosphere is Anno's place, for I love the way she writes, and the truth behind each and every one of her words. You won't be disappointed if you visit her. You can sit out in her yard while a chicken roasts over the fire, talk about books, and travels, all while sipping a great glass of wine. What are you waiting for?

You are back? Good, because Anno tagged me with a great meme about books. You have to love a meme about books!

I have also learned what a meme is, and if you want to know more, just follow the link .

But i digress. Here are the rules:

1. Pick up the nearest book.
2. Open to page 123
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people, and acknowledge who tagged you.

The nearest book is On Beauty by Zadie Smith, here are the three sentences:

Howard closed his eyes and drank deep from his glass.
'Howard, the music -' said Kiki, turning to Howard at last. It was amazing to see her words and her eyes entirely unconnected to each other, like a bad actress.

The third sentence is telling, for Ms. Smith works with words to paint pictures of her characters and their relationships. I like this book, I like the play of opposites, the broken stereotypes, the cultural clash. I like the smart language, the knowledge that this is not just a writer's world, but a factual, real possibility. I believe everything Ms. Smith tells me, and the way she chooses to tell everything.
I am half way through the book, so I still have a lot of things to discover. Well, I have to go read now...

I almost forgot rule #5! This is an open tag, play along if you feel like it, but please let me know. I would love to read what you are reading.

Warning: You may need to re-register with JS-kit(Echo) to leave CommentLuv link: uncheck the CommentLuv box, click 'add another site", type your blog url in "my site", re-check CommentLuv box. Also type over the name Guest!