Friday, March 21, 2008

Running

Spring is here, the weather is beautiful, and my excuses have gone with the cold. I am officially back to running and happy to be back. There is nothing like a run to make you feel good about yourself and the wonderful gift that is your body. I like being outside with my friend and my dog, breathing fresh air, feeling the rush of blood, talking about nothing and everything.
You might remember that I want to run a marathon before I turn 50; I still have a good 9 years before my time is up. Of course I am not training for a marathon NOW, but I will like to train for a half marathon this summer.


I have run 2 half marathons, and I loved doing so. The first time around I signed up with a running club to learn how to train, how to stretch, what to eat, what to wear, etc. It was a great experience, I was so new to the world of running that I felt successful just by finishing those 13 miles. Needless to say, my time was not great. By the second time, I was a member of a running club (miss you guys!) and I was so lucky to have a group of inspiring, strong women to run with. I learned so much from them, their character and passion showing on every step of our runs together. I became a better person and a better runner because of them. I ran my second half in 2:05:00 -which is a time I am proud to post.
When we moved to Italy I was in really good shape, I felt younger and stronger than when I was in my thirties. I tried to stay on top of my routine, but many things got in the way. I also tried to star a running club within the expat community without much luck. I am happy that my friend Pien runs, we go to the trail near our houses twice a week and it is always a gift.
The whole purpose of this post is to write down (for everyone to see) my renewed commitment to running. I have even added a little widget to my sidebar that keeps track of my miles and my time. It is official now, I am on my way to Bogota's half marathon on July 27. Just 2,640 mt (8,661.4 ft)over sea level, a minor detail!

Warning: You may need to re-register with JS-kit(Echo) to leave CommentLuv link: uncheck the CommentLuv box, click 'add another site", type your blog url in "my site", re-check CommentLuv box. Also type over the name Guest!